Cures Act Compliance Guidelines and Dates
As Cures Act dates and deadlines are arriving, Exym customers are reaching out asking for guidance on what the Cures Act is and what important dates they should be aware of so that their agencies are compliant with the Cures Act. We compiled this list of dates and graphics from the healthit.gov website as a point of reference for customers who need more information about the Cures Act.
WHAT IS THE CURES ACT?
The 21st Century Cures Act was signed on December 13, 2016, with the purpose to promote and fund the acceleration of research into preventing and curing serious illnesses; accelerate drug and medical device development; attempt to address the opioid abuse crisis; and try to improve mental health service delivery. The act includes a number of provisions that push for greater interoperability, adoption of electronic health records (EHRs) and support for human services programs.
The goal is to make patients the center of their care through access, transparency, interoperability and more!
WHAT IS INFORMATION BLOCKING?
Cures defines information blocking as business, technical and organizational practices that prevent or materially discourage the access, exchange or use of electronic health information (EHI) when an actor knows or should know, that these practices are likely to interfere with access.
There are exceptions to the information guidelines as listed in the chart below.
WHAT ARE THE ONC’S CURES ACT REGULATORY DATES?
CURES ACT COMPLIANCE DATE EXTENSIONS
On October 29, 2020, the ONC announced that they were extending compliance dates for information blocking and the certification program due to the Covid pandemic. The new dates are listed below are from the official healthit.gov Cures Act communication.
EXYM ENGAGE SUPPORTS CURES ACT COMPLIANCE
Unlimited Telehealth Therapy
Exym Engage includes unlimited telehealth software so you can replicate the in-person experience.
- In-session HIPAA-compliant video chat
- In-session doc exchange
- Screen sharing
- Private clinician note pad
- Virtual waiting room: if your patient logs in early, they have the ability to see organization-specific materials while they wait.
Electronic Signature, Secure Messaging, & Document Exchange
Collect signatures and communicate with clients any time, anywhere, on any device.
- E-Signature functionality with dual-authentication
- HIPAA Compliant
- Available on all Exym Activity Documents
- Get signatures from contacts associated with the client
- Supports compliance with the CURES Act Information Blocking by allowing clients to request and receive their records electronically
- Front desk staff can manage intake paperwork directly with clients and families
Patient Portal Software
Supports compliance with Cures Act Information Blocking requirements.
- Allows patients/clients to access the Exym-based records they requested
- Unique URLs allow you to build a button on your website for your patients to access the Portal
- Upload documents to be shared or select Exym records at the clinician’s discretion
- Works on any internet-connected device
Want to learn more about Exym Engage? Click Here